More than 29 years of deposition interpreting experience for patent litigation in the US.
- Interpreting for Japanese parties related to DOJ investigations.
- Rendering of opinion and testifying as an expert witness with regard to translation matters in civil litigation.
- Lise is one of the very few native-English-speaking interpreters working in Japan having both an engineering background and extensive deposition interpreting experience.
- Licensing negotiation interpreting assignment consisting of monthly visits to numerous Japanese firms with a licensing/patent team from the US.
- Interpreting at strategy meetings between manufacturers and their US counsel.
- Interpreting at meetings between a foreign inventor and a Japanese patent/law firms, including presentations of the invention before a board of Japanese patent examiners.
- Interpreting at patent licensing meetings between engineers of US and Japanese firms.
Exemplary Publications and Presentations
"Patent Translation: What's it All About." Presented at the 19th International Japanese/English Translation Conference in Okinawa, April 12-13, 2008.
Chapter 5 of Morita, Y. ed. Japanese Patent Translation Handbook. Alexandria: American Translators Association, 1997. Currently out-of-print, but Kirameki Translations might make an enhanced version of the content sometime in the future.
Chapter 5 Table of Contents
"Japanese/English Deposition Interpreting" presented at the 19th International Japanese-English Translation Conference (IJET-19). Chicago: Japan Association of Translators, 2005.
"Japanese-English Patent Translation for Filing in the US" (Workshop presented at the Ninth International Japanese/English Translation Conference (IJET-9), held in Yokohama in 1998).
"The For-Filing J-E Patent Translation Market in Japan" December 1999 Japan Association of Translators JAT Bulletin.
[PASSWORD-PROTECTED; CONTACT US FOR ACCESS] Japanese Deposition Interpreting. November 23, 2013 Presentation at Interpret JAPAN 2013, held in Tokyo by Japan Association of Translators
[PASSWORD-PROTECTED; CONTACT US FOR ACCESS] "An Investigation of Terminology and Syntax in Japanese and US Patents and the Implications for the Patent Translator" Proceedings of the Fifth International Japanese-English Translation Conference (IJET-5). Tokyo: Japan Association of Translators, 1994.
"An Introduction to Japanese-English Deposition Interpreting" 6th International Japanese-English Translation Conference. Vancouver, May 26, 1995.
"Symbols, Abbreviations and Layout Problems Facing the J-E Translator" Eighth International Conference on Japanese/English Translation and Interpreting (IJET-8) held in Sheffield, UK. The IJET 97 Committee, 1997.
"Industrial Manual J-E Translation Workshop" Proceedings of the 3rd International Japanese-English Translation Conference. Tokyo: Japan Association of Translators, 1992.
Translation Career Presentations (four times: 2004 to 2007) at the behest of the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR) for participants in their JET Programme considering a career in translation.
Numerous other translation articles since 1985 in the JAT Bulletin, the former official organ of the Japan Association of Translators.